Do you need to choose between traditional inlays and CEREC crowns? Southgate Dental Centre located in Edmonton can help you make the decision that’s right for you. Here is some important information to get you started.
What are CEREC crowns?
CEREC crowns are same-day crowns that are created using CAD/CAM technology (computer-assisted design/computer-assisted manufacture). Carved out of a solid block of ceramic or resin, these crowns are made in your dentist’s office, on the same day as your initial procedure. CEREC crowns are typically used to repair teeth that are chipped or cracked, to improve the look of teeth that have visible fillings, or to protect a tooth after a root canal.
As technology advances and dentists become more skilled at working with 3D images, patients are choosing CEREC crowns more than ever before. There are many reasons to choose CEREC over traditional crowns. Here are a few major ones:
- The creation and installation processes are performed on the same day, in a single visit.
- Because ceramic is more biocompatible with the human mouth than other materials, patients get the added benefit of maintaining the look and feel of a real tooth.
- Digital impressions are more comfortable to undergo than traditional impressions.
- On average, CEREC crowns require less follow-up and last longer than traditional inlays.
- CAD/CAM technology is so accurate, the end result produces a ceramic inlay that is significantly more comfortable to wear than a traditional crown.
Making the crown
Your dentist will start off by taking a 3D, digital impression of your mouth with an infrared camera. The impression is then used to design and mill the crown. This generally takes around 30 minutes.
The installation process
Once the crown is made, it is polished and tried in the mouth. To make sure the crown fits perfectly, adjustments may be necessary. At this point, the dentist can decide to implement additional colouring or glazing to ensure that the crown matches your other teeth. The crown is then ready to be bonded onto your tooth. The entire operation should take approximately two hours to complete.
Get CEREC crowns in South Edmonton at Southgate Dental Centre
Whether you’d like to repair your smile or ensure that your next dental procedure is executed swiftly, without requiring multiple visits, CEREC crowns could be right for you. If you live in the Edmonton area, call Southgate Dental Centre today to find out the best option for you.
All dental services are provided by general dentists.